Bluehost Review - Is Bluehost a Good Choice for WordPress?
Finding a great web host can be stressful, right? They promise you the world, but how many of them meet your expectations?
Bluehost is a web hosting company that has been around for 17 years. WordPress.org
features Bluehost as one of the three recommended web hosts for a WordPress website.
Below, I'll give you a full review of Bluehost. But first, I would like to go over some terms about web hosting so that you can get the most out of this review. Visit BlueHost Website https://preview.redd.it/24j4q4174ws51.jpg?width=1636&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=a01a3f4628a7ddd2f641994788e0b7f6d5f1da5b
We will go over how much your web hosting costs, which projects are suitable for your web hosting, its performance, and the level of customer support offered. What you should know about Web hosting
A web hosting company is a service that takes up space on a web server. That web server will store and serve your files to make your website or application work. The servers work without any interruption, so your content will be available all the time.
The web hosting industry is booming as more and more WordPress business owners, developers, designers, agencies and users are connecting to the internet. As technology advances, these web hosting companies have to evolve to meet the various demands of our digital age.
Whether you're building the next great app, migrating your agency websites, or starting your first WordPress blog, Bluehost
has web hosting packages for it all.
16 Website Hosting Terms You Should Know
Many of the terms I'm about to go over may have been heard before, but I want everyone to be on the same page before we get into our Bluehost review.
- Server - A server is a computer with a special operating system and its sole purpose is to serve your website or files to visitors. Many companies use redundancy and technologies to ensure 99% uptime.
- Domain name - Your domain name is what a visitor will type in their address bar to reach your website. An example of a domain name would be yourapp.com, where "your application" is the domain name. The ".com" in the domain name example is what is known as a top-level domain.
- Top Level Domains (TLDs) - The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) is responsible for managing hundreds of TLDs.
Bluehost offers the following TLDs:
- Subdomain name - A subdomain name allows you to create multiple applications or websites under one domain name. Using the example above, a subdomain of tuapp.com would be blog.tuapp.com, where "blog" is the subdomain.
- Database - A database is a structured set of data stored on a computer and accessible in various ways. WordPress and Manyapps use MySQL, PostgreSQL, or other databases to store information.
- Content Management System (CMS) - A CMS is a web application that allows you to create and manage your content effortlessly. WordPress is the most popular CMS, with Joomla in second place.
- Disk storage - The amount of data that you can store in your web hosting package. Most web hosts offer a lot of space for your project and future projects.
- Bandwidth - A limiting factor for some web hosts, bandwidth is the amount of data you can send and receive from your server. If you have a website with a lot of visitors, you could eat up your bandwidth quickly. Most web hosts will specify their allowed bandwidth, while others allow an unlimited amount of traffic.
- Secure Football Layer (SSL) Certificates - SSL certificates let your visitors know that your website is secure. Any information that is shared between your website and them is secure. This is a must have for foreign trade websites.
- E-commerce - Amazon is one of the largest e-commerce businesses. If you plan to sell something - product or service - you are participating in e-commerce.
- Secure Shell (SSH) Access - SSH is an acryptographic network protocol for operating network services securely over an insecure network. SSH encrypts your data and it is extremely difficult to decrypt and read the information - so even our passwords also become secure over a public network. This keeps us safe from IP spoofing, IP source routing, and DNS spoofing.
- Caching - Caching is a technology that will increase the loading speed of your website. This is critical to the performance of a website. A cache is a high-speed data storage layer that stores a subset of data. Future requests for that data are served faster than accessing the data's primary storage location. Basically it is reusing previously recovered data.
- Website builders - Many web hosting companies will offer their own website builder, which can create a website without having to touch a line of code. Although there are many different website builders available, we recommend using Elementor.
- Website staging - If you've ever hit a website update and immediately regret it, you're not alone. Wouldn't it have been better to create a clone of your website to test the changes before updating? This is called putting on a website.
- Website Scripts - Many web hosts offer website scripts like PHPBB, support for blogs, mailing lists, survey and polling software, and project management scripts. You can also buy great scripts from CodeCanyon.
- Content Delivery Network (CDN) - Another great way to improve how fast your website loads is through a CDN. A CDN is a server system that will deliver web pages and other content to a user based on their geographic location. For example, someone in London may receive your website data from a server based in London, while someone in Indiana will receive your information from a server based in Chicago. This will dramatically improve how quickly your website is served to a visitor.
BlueHost Security https://preview.redd.it/s0u3dl8l6ws51.jpg?width=700&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=7235e9addd74cbf90850fec77dd5ee17975c783b
Let's face it, if your website is your business and it goes down, you are losing money. Security or reliability issues can cripple a business - don't disappoint your visitors with a site that won't load.
Most reputable web hosts guarantee 99% uptime, some offer 99.9% uptime and a money-back guarantee. As technology improves, web hosts are able to ensure that their website virtually never goes down. Go to BlueHost Great web hosts will offer security features such as:
- Access restriction - Access to a server is heavily restricted to the root of the server. Someone who gains unauthorized root access can control the server and all of its resources.
- Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) and Firewall Protection - SSL encryption keeps sensitive data flowing through your website safe. An SSL certificate is essential in an ecommerce store, as well as a Google ranking factor. Web application firewalls help prevent SQL injections, cross-site scripting, and other vulnerabilities that could lead to unauthorized root access.
- Network monitoring - A solid web hosting company will regularly monitor your network for any intrusion, unauthorized activity, and downtime. Its special tools are used to monitor and fix server problems before they become a major problem.
- Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) Prevention - A DDoS attack is an attempt to bring down your website by overloading your server with traffic. This causes site performance to stall - sometimes completely crashing the server. It is difficult to stop a DDoS attack, but a large web host will have the tools available to mitigate any attack if it occurs.
- Backups - Regularly backing up your website keeps a known working copy that you can always return to if you run into problems. If you have a large website, you need to back up your website and databases often. Look for a web host that offers automated backups, this will remove any errors from human memory.
- Malware Protection - Like your computer, web hosts have to scan your computers for malware and other malicious programs. A web host will regularly scan client account files. They will have the necessary software to identify and remove any malware.
Types of web hosting
Bluehost has something for everyone. Different types of web hosting offer different benefits and drawbacks. Let's go over the different types of web hosting offered on Bluehost.
Most web hosting companies offer shared hosting. It's great for any entry-level project and it's easy to use. Your website is on a server with hundreds of other websites. Shared hosting is cheaper because you rent a small part of the server and share the resources.
This will be the easiest and cheapest way to start working online. Many shared web hosting providers offer features like the asa website builder, WordPress hosting, and email services. This is great for a small business owner, blogger, or community website. The only trade-off is that you have to share server resources with other website owners.
Unfortunately, that means if there is an increase in traffic or some other resource grabbing process, it will affect your website load times. Affordability is a priority in shared hosting.
Looking to write a blog or create a WooCommerce store? WordPress hosting is shared hosting with some settings. WordPress is the most widely used CMS, powering sites ranging from small personal blogs, small businesses, and global corporations.
According to a survey published by Netcraft, it is estimated that there are more than 1.3 billion active websites, and 35% of the Internet is powered by WordPress. That means a staggering 455,000,000 active websites are powered by WordPress.
WordPress has been around since 2003. According to W3techs, WordPress owns 62.5% of the CMS market share.
Shared hosting platforms can be optimized specifically for WordPress, which means better performance. WordPress hosting is often accompanied by access to WordPress professionals who can answer technical and specific questions. A shared web host that doesn't offer WordPress hosting may not be able to help you with your WordPress specific technical questions.
The support and optimized performance of the WordPress platform is what you will get when you choose a WordPress hosting package. >>>Check BlueHost Features For WordPress Here
Virtual Private Server Hosting (VPS)
In shared web hosting, fonts are shared with multiple other users. In VPS hosting, you have your own virtual server with a specific allocation of resources. These resources are guaranteed to you, but many packages often require you to manage the server yourself.
This works by virtualizing a dedicated server on multiple virtual servers. This works by dividing the resources of the dedicated server between the virtual servers.
The benefit of VPS hosting is that the resources are guaranteed. The stability and performance of your website will not decrease due to another user, and your operating system is not shared, which provides more security for your website files.
If you demand the highest level of resources and control, dedicated hosting is it. Dedicated servers are completely isolated from each other, so you have full access to configure the server exactly the way you want.
Build your applications and agencies using guaranteed resources that are stable and predictable. Dedicated hosting is best for those who have high traffic websites.
Most dedicated hosting providers will have a team to help you. You will be asked to maintain your own server and its resources.
Great for agencies and startups, reseller hosting makes it easy to get started. Reseller hosting is what it sounds like - you can resell hosting and web services. You offer services and products to resell directly to the customers to whom you market.
IS BLUEHOST THE BEST FOR WORDPRESS: history
There are hundreds of thousands of web hosting companies. Not many can say that they control more than two million websites around the world.
Bluehost was founded in 2003 by Danny Ashworth and Matt Heaton in Provo, Utah. Its mission is "to empower people to take full advantage of the web."
Bluehost partnered with WordPress over 10 years ago and helps make WordPress the best CMS out there. >>>Official BlueHost Website
Bluehost Review Reddit
The Open Source Community
WordPress is an open source CMS, and Bluehost is built on open source technologies. This includes your servers, internal tools, and scripts.
Bluehost gives back to the community by working hand-in-hand with developers to leverage resources and expertise to help their software thrive. There are more than 80 open source platforms that Bluehosto optimizes.
Bluehost has a massive team of over 750 people available 24 hours a day to help you be successful.
Services offered By BlueHost
Bluehost offers a variety of services forever, from a beginner to an agency. Some of the key services offered include:
- WordPress hosting
- WordPress Pro
- Electronic commerce
- Shared web hosting
- VPS web hosting
- Dedicated web hosting
- Domain name registration
- Email and support services
- Website migration
For most of the services offered by Bluehost, there are multiple packages that you can purchase. We'll go over the features and pricing below.
Bluehost Review: Features
Bluehost is packed with features for every package. Let's review the characteristics of each type of web hosting they offer.
Shared WordPress Hosting
If you are planning to have a WordPress website, Bluehost's shared hosting for WordPress offers many features. All WordPress shared hosting plans include:
- Automatic WordPress installation
- A free domain name for one year
- Automatic WordPress updates
- Free SSL Certificate
- The staging of WordPress
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Over 100 free WordPress themes
- Professional WordPress support available 24/7
Its basic shared WordPress hosting allows for one website and 50GB of SSD storage. Both the Plus and Choice Plus allow unlimited websites, unlimited SSD storage, unlimited parked domains, and subdomains.
Managed WordPress Hosting
If you are looking for more help with your WordPress website, their professionally managed WordPress packages may be the right choice for you. Bluehost offers the following features for your WordPress hosting:
- Unlimited websites
- Unlimited domains and subdomains
- Unlimited storage
- The staging of the website
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Hundreds of WordPress themes
Shared web hosting
Bluehost shared web hosting lets you get started quickly with minimal investment. Shared hosting plans are a feature:
- 1 website for the basics, unlimited websites for the other packages
- 50 GB SSD storage for the basic one, unlimited SSD storage for the other packages
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Free SSL Certificate
- Parked domains and subdomains
- Spam experts on all packages except the basic one
- Domain privacy and protection of the two most expensive shared hosting packages, along with site endorsement by basic CodeGuard
VPS web hosting
If you need more power and performance from your web host, Bluehost offers great features for your VPS web host. Features include:
- 2 CPU cores or 4 CPU cores for your Ultimate package.
- 30 GB, 60 GB or 120 GB of SSD storage depending on the package
- 2GB, 4GB, or 8GB of RAM depending on the package.
- 1 TB, 2 TB, 3 TB bandwidth depending on the package
- 1 or 2 IP addresses depending on the packet
- Free domain the first year
- 24/7 professional support
- Multiple server management
- Access control
- File management
Dedicated web hosting
The most expensive level of hosting on Bluehost is dedicated hosting. Bluehost offers three dedicated web hosting packages, each with increasing performance. Dedicated web hosting features include:
- 2.3 GHz, 2.4 GHz, 3.3 GHz 4-core CPU depending on package
- 500GB or 1TB mirrored, depending on the package.
- 4 GB, 8 GB, or 16 GB of ram depending on the package
- 5TB, 10TB, 15TB of bandwidth - depending on the package
- 3, 4 or 5 IP addresses depending on the packet.
- Free domain name in your first year
- Free SSL Certificate
- Full control over your server
- Enhanced cPanel
- Multiple server management
- 24/7 professional support
Bluehost prices are very straightforward for each type of service. Next, we are going to go over Bluehost's pricing for each type of service they offer.
BlueHost Shared WordPress Hosting https://preview.redd.it/0xhhqi2c5ws51.jpg?width=300&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=2088901a63d0d72cda5cd4634f1a3a053287b79e
Bluehost offers three shared WordPress hosting packages. The basic package allows you to start with a minimal investment, you receive a free domain for the first year, a free SSL certificate and a lot of storage.
Their basic plan starts at $ 3.95 per month and offers a website, lots of storage, and a list of laundry features. Upgrading to the Plus package for $ 5.95 per month unlocks more features - including unlimited websites, more storage, unlimited domains, parked domains and sub-domains.
The Choice Plus costs $ 5.95 a month, offers more features, and the Pro package costs $ 13.95 a month with the most features available, including a dedicated IP address.
BlueHost Managed WordPress Hosting
Bluehost's managed WordPress hosting lets you squeeze more performance out of your web hosting package. All managed WordPress hosting packages offer unlimited websites, domains and subdomains, storage, and bandwidth. Enjoy staging your website to test your changes before going live.
Managed WordPress packages cost a bit more, but your WordPress website features are there. Starting at $ 19.95 per month for the Build package, you get a lot of features, including daily scheduled backups, 100+ free WordPress themes, and a mounting environment.
The upgrade to the Grow package includes the JetPack Premium, business review tools, and other features offered by Bluehost. The Scale pack is ideal for agencies that require the most features with their managed WordPress host.
Shared web hosting
If you are looking for a cheap way to get your website or service online, Bluehost has some shared web hosting packages for you. Don't be afraid of buying the wrong pack - you can upgrade your pack as you grow.
The basic package offers a website, lots of storage, a free SSL certificate, and enough features to get your website up and running for just $ 3.95 per month. By upgrading to Plus for $ 5.95 a month, you receive the ability to support multiple websites, more storage, and more features. The Choice Plus will cost $ 5.95 per month and the Propackage will cost $ 13.95 per month, all with more and more features.
Start your marketing campaign and get $ 100 free for Microsoft ads and $ 100 free for Google ads when you spend your first $ 25 on a new Microsoft and Google ads account.
BlueHost VPS web hosting
Get more control over your performance with Bluehost VPS hosting. If you have any problems, Bluehost has 24/7 support that you can contact. With a 30-day money-back guarantee, it's hard to beat.
For $ 19.99 per month, you can start with the standard package. You will receive many resources and you will have a solid foundation for your business. The upgraded version will cost $ 29.99 per month and the final version will cost $ 59.99 per month - both with increasing amounts of resources.
Dedicated web hosting
If you need the most power, performance, and control of your services, Bluehost's dedicated web hosting may be the one for you. You will receive a lot of storage, a lot of bandwidth and a lot of power for your business.
The Standard package will cost $ 79.99 per month, the Enhanced package will cost $ 99.99 per month, and the dedicated Web Premium package will cost $ 119.99 per month. You'll have unmatched performance, flexibility, and reliability.
Ease of use of Bluehost
When you buy a web hosting package, you always know what to expect in the back. Bluehost makes it easy to use your web host with an improved cPanel interface - just click the icons and get started.
Creating a website or using its storage is easy, you can create email addresses in a central location, and you can even customize your cPanel to suit your needs.
Bluehost makes it easy for the beginner to get started, but gives experts the tools they need to prosper and build their empire.
BlueHost Support Service
Bluehost is one of the three hosts recommended by WordPress.org. There are hundreds of web hosts that you can use to manage a WordPress website, but being one of the three officially recognized partners should be encouraging.
Offering everything from a knowledge base, live chat, email support, and phone support, Bluehost has you covered. Personally, I don't like talking on the phone, so having tickets by email and livechat is great. The knowledge base is full of information, video tutorials, and supporting documentation.
Bluehost support is available 24/7, so you don't have to wait until tomorrow for a response. They also have a great YouTube that you can check out.
However, there are some customers who seem to have negative experiences with customer support. Some clients say that even after numerous calls they did not receive the necessary support.
Bluehost performance and uptime
With technology improving every day, the uptime of a "good" web host is around 99.94%. This translates to 26 minutes of downtime each month - or just over five hours over the course of a year.
Bluehost has exceeded this level of uptime with an average of 99.99% uptime. Despite negative reviews from the company, they offer a 30-day money-back policy. If something goes wrong after the first 30 days, you will receive a prorated refund from your plan.
This allows you to get out without penalties or hidden charges.
Bluehost has mixed reviews on performance. Some complain about how fast their website loads, while others complain about the "overcrowded" servers for their shared hosting.
Next we'll do a performance test of an Astra startup website on Bluehost.
Performance test site on Bluehost
When purchasing a new web hosting package from Bluehost, we are going to go through the steps you take to create your first WordPress website and we are going to run a performance test on our WordPress installation with a starter site.
We will start by buying the basic package that starts at $ 2.95 per month.
After entering your personal information and payment information. You will be greeted with a screen to create your account. Step 1 of 3:
Once you create an account, you will go to shutdown to create your website. You can skip this step if you are not ready to create a website.
Select your answers from the drop-down boxes and click continue.
FOTO Step 2 of 3:
This is where you will enter your website name and tagline. Bluehost asks if you want to have the ability to sell things on your website. If you select that you want the ability to sell, Bluehost will install WooCommerce and activate it. Step 3 of 3:
Choose a theme for your website. You have the option of using free themes and premium themes - all divided into various categories. For our test, we will use the free Astra theme and build a starter site.
Once you select the theme you would like to use, your website will be installed, configured and connected to the CloudflareCDN.
As your website finishes setting up, which doesn't take long, you will be greeted with a screen to launch your website. From here, it is recommended to follow the checklist to prepare your website for launch.
If you are already a WordPress professional, you can click on the WordPress button and be sent to your website's WordPress admin.
Once you finish your initial setup or choose to go directly to your admin panel, you will be greeted with an easy to use Bluehost dashboard.
With just a few clicks and inputting some information, you have a fully functional website ready for content to be added.
For our performance test, we are using the Astra WordPress theme and one of their professional starter sites.
Below is a GT Metrix speed test of astarter site on Bluehost WordPress web host.
Just for reference, here is a performance test on another shared hosting platform. Speed is just as desired.
As you can see, Bluehost's speeds are great, and with a little tweak, you can get more performance. This test ran after a few clicks to install an Astra starter site. The other website has tweaks and other plugins that are supposed to help with performance… but it doesn't seem to be as fast as Bluehost.
Main advantages of Bluehost? Get 30-day money-back guarantee on all BlueHost plans.
There are many good things about Bluehost. Things like uptime, customer support, and low barrier to entry, all on the list.
- The barrier to entry is extremely low - cheaper than a cup of coffee to begin with. This is great for beginners who want to get started quickly without spending their life savings.
- Bluehost keeps its servers running with an excellent 99.99% uptime. If your website is down, you are losing money. Consistent uptime and performance are a must.
- Most plans include "unlimited" disk storage, domain hosting, email addresses, and bandwidth. More on this in the negatives section.
- Enjoy a free domain name for your first year of registration.
- Bluehost's improved cPanel allows easy use and quick access to all its features. Get a website up and running in just a few clicks.
- Bluehost offers great security options, although it is one of the cheapest options. It doesn't skimp on security, as it includes a domain privacy feature that helps keep your personal information hidden. SiteLock helps prevent malware and CodeGuard offers daily backups in case your website is hacked.
- If you are an application developer, Bluehost offers numerous databases and support for MySQL, PostgreSQL, CGI-BIN, PHP, Python, Perl, Ruby on Rails, and more.
- Lots of free website scripts including blog support, social media scripts, mailing list support, message boards, Joomla, Drupal, and Tikiwiki.
- Get your e-commerce store and enjoy the security of a free SSL certificate.
- Integrate your Bluehost website with the Cloudflare CDN for increased performance.
- Bluehost's managed WordPress hosting is considered top-notch and their support team can help you with any questions you may have.
- All hosting packages, except domain name packages, come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Any problem using Bluehost?
This is an unbiased review of Bluehost. So far, you've heard all the wonderful things about them. Let's go over some of the negatives of using Bluehost.
- There are many plugins that allow you to choose what to update, but sometimes you need to install many of them to get the functionality you are looking for.
- The customer support team has mixed reviews, although most of them are positive.
- Bluehost likes to sell its services, which can be a hassle for someone on a budget.
- As with many web hosts, renewal rates generally increase after the introductory price. To get the best deal, you can prepay for one, two, or even three years.
- Bluehost does not offer free website migrations.
Alternatives to Bluehost for Wordpress
If Bluehost doesn't sound like a good option, here are three other web hosts that offer affordable hosting packages with reliable performance.
Consistently ranked as one of the most competitive Bluehost alternatives for most users, Siteground's WordPress plans are similar, and they don't promise unlimited storage or traffic. Features include:
- Advanced caching techniques to improve performance
- Automated backups and WordPress updates
- Free Cloudflare CDN setup
- Strong security that monitors WordPress vulnerabilities
- Some packages allow one-click website creation.
- Free SSL Certificate
Siteground offers a stable and secure service that can handle your website needs. Excellent customer service, fast loading speeds, and many features make this web host a great alternative.
Both Bluehost and Siteground
offer multiple types of web hosting. WP Engine, on the other hand, only offers WordPress hosting. They are dedicated to providing the best performance and service for WordPress users. Their support team is well versed in WordPress and can help you with technical questions. Features include:
- WordPress professionals available 24/7
- Multiple firewalls, regular malware scans, and strict security measures
- EverCache technology improves your website performance
- Website performance data is available to all customers
- Daily automated backups of your WordPress sites
If you are a freelancer or run an agency, Flywheel can be a great Bluehost alternative. Ideal for individual websites, Flywheel certainly gears its features towards web developers and agencies. Collaboration tools allow designers and developers to work together, and you can even transfer hosting invoices directly to your clients. Features include:
- Great collaboration tools for freelancers and agencies
- Create staging websites and save WordPress settings for future installations
- Transfer the invoice from your web host directly to your clients
- Daily automated backups
- A great support team made up of WordPress experts
These tools come at a premium price, with individual packages around the average for a ManagedWordPress web host.
IS BLUEHOST THE BEST FOR WORDPRESS: CONCLUSION
At the end of the day, you want to find a reliable web host that offers affordable packages for your project. Whether it's building a local community blog, the next big app, or a shipping store with WooCommerce, Bluehost can deliver.
Entry-level web hosting plans offer an easy and inexpensive way to start your project. For $ 3.95, you can host a WordPress blog with lots of storage, relatively unlimited bandwidth, and a bag of other features. If things don't work out or you're not satisfied with your service, you can get a full refund within 30 days of your purchase.
Getting started is cheap and climbing is easy. Simply update your package in your dashboard to accommodate your needs.
Although there are several negative reviews on Bluehost, most of the reviews are great, and I've never had a problem with them. There is a reason this company has been going strong for 17 years. VISIT BLUEHOST HERE
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase of a product after clicking on any of them, I may receive a commission. This has NO extra cost for you.